[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 22:46:22 -0500

DW:
>>If we choose to allow the restriction of others' freedoms based upon
>>accordance with our own beliefs, or societal norms  Then, we must be willing
>>to submit the allowance/restriction our own freedoms to the beliefs of
>>others, or societal norms<<

Yes, I agree.  And, of course, it's inevitable that freedoms will conflict,
because value systems differ so widely.  But if you believe that the best way
to restrict freedoms is through democratically determined means, meaning that
all restrictions are always open to change, then there's always hope that
restrictions you find repressive or unwarranted can be amended or supplanted.
The wish for a society where we could all just do our own thing is not likely
to happen anytime soon since nearly everyone feels threatened by "strange"
behaviors.  What's to be done?  Exposure to the other is the best help, I
believe.  Take away the "strangeness".  Maybe there should be a law that
everyone must live in a port city until they don't give a damn what anyone does.

Mike Geary
Memphis