[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:58:02 -0500

Irene wrote:
"...the thing we desperately need to do is find energy, real quick.  The
ole King isn't coming up with it, and jet fighters don't fly without it
and Humvees don't run without it, not to mention your car or mine.  We
also need to husband water like crazy and we're wasting the same as
ever."

I agree with your sentiment, Irene, with one exception.  Finding energy
might make a country strong, but then I favour (new) humanism (a la Silo)
over nationalism.  Instead of finding more energy, we must curb our
enthusiasm for consumption and, of course, rethink the global economy.
This, of course, will never happen.  I know  this hearkens back to the
tired rhetoric we've been hearing from angry young men and hoary old
curmudgeons for several thousand years, but -- perhaps they've always
been right.

a little angry, a little hoary
d.

--
See Exclusive Video: 10th Annual Young Hollywood Awards
http://www.hollywoodlife.net/younghollywoodawards2008/