[lit-ideas] Re: The Rules of War

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:42:25 +0100

> The Big Jenin Lie
> The only good thing about the Jenin "massacre" was watching the
propaganda
> being debunked in record time
(cut)
>Mostly that means British reporters. Full credit to the Guardian
for
>allowing Sharon Sadeh to administer a well-deserved flogging to
Fleet Street
>in its pages on Monday. "The Independent, the Guardian and the
Times, in
>particular," writes Sadeh, "were quick to denounce Israel and
made
>sensational accusations based on thin evidence, fitting a widely
held
>stereotype of a defiant, brutal and don't-give-a-damn Israel."
<<<<<<<<<<<<

that's interesting.  I rememeber the major Observer/Guardian
piece well.
Luckily it's on the web

>Not a massacre, but a brutal breach of war's rules

Peter Beaumont in Jenin
Thursday April 25, 2002
Guardian Weekly

It is easy to be distracted by the presence of the bodies.
 On Friday last week, in their white plastic shrouds, they
 were stacked like stinking cords of wood outside
the main hospital in the northern West Bank city of Jenin.
Some had been collected from where they had been
hastily buried in the gardens of the refugee camp's least
 damaged areas. Others had been collected from
 temporary mass graves in a yard outside the hospital.

They were all waiting for reburial in a common grave.
By their very numbers - almost 30 on this afternoon -
 they suggested themselves as victims of a massacre.
But a massacre - in the usual sense - did not take
 place in Jenin. Whatever crimes were committed
here - and it appears there were many - a calculated
massacre of civilians by the Israeli army was not
among them
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
http://www.guardian.co.uk/GWeekly/Story/0,,689935,00.html

here's Suzanne Goldenberg

For the Palestinians, the battle for the Jenin refugee camp
 has become a legend. Before the last of the militants
 surrendered last Wednesday, the camp saw the bloodiest
 fighting of Israel's offensive on West Bank towns.
The brutal combat claimed the lives of 23 Israeli
soldiers, and an unknown number of Palestinians.
Palestinians accuse Israel of a massacre, and there
are convincing accounts from local people of the
occasional summary execution. However, there are
no reliable figures for Palestinian dead and injured.
The Red Cross carried away seven bodies on Monday,

The Sadeh piece is here

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,,710532,00.html