[lit-ideas] Re: Leftism and Islamism

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 05:26:04 -0500

LH:

Here is an interesting open-forum discussion of the association of Leftism and Islamism: http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=7901&sid=597521fe56ef9e9af8aac07f74335784<<

"Interesting"?? About as interesting as Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. The posts are amusing, I'll grant you that. They're fun to laugh at.

I wanted you to name some Lit-Idea leftists because I don't know what you mean by the term and I'm not sure you do either. Anyone who disagrees with you is a leftist is about all that I can gather, and you might be right. Let me define liberal and leftist as I use the terms. A liberal is a warm and fuzzy word in my lexicon. It refers to the good people, that is, those who believe first and foremost that all human beings are equal in their claims to dignity and worth and have equal standing before the law. Given those beliefs it can usually be anticipated that a liberal will support human rights, civil rights, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of conscience and freedom of person. Given those beliefs it can usually be anticipated that a liberal will oppose economic, military and cultural oppression of any people. Given those beliefs it can usually be anticipated that a liberal will view society as an incredibly complex network of mutual dependencies and will support and work towards enacting those legislative prohibitions and regulations that further the interests of the greatest number at the least cost to individual freedoms. A liberal acknowledges that she is always caught in a tension between what she owes to the society that created and nourishes her and her need to explore and express her self as a creative being in the world. That's liberalism -- at least in theory, but every theory must build it's own road to walk down and that's where leftists come in.

A leftist is a politically active liberal -- a road bulder. The range of activism among leftists is as great that as on the right, and leftists can actually become rightwingers when they let their ambitions take over their ideals and they adopt fascist tactics. This has happened in the past and as a result 'leftist' is not so warm a word as 'liberal'. 'Ist' words never are, but it's much, much warmer than 'fascist' -- which I conflate with the right. In fact, I use 'greed-driven, militaristic, theocratic-fascists' as short-hand for the Bush Administration -- and just about anybody else I see as a danger to humanity --just as you use hyphenated forms of 'leftist'. Short-hand is fun. I find your use of "Islamo-leftist" very comical. It's totally oxymoronic. But that's the fun. It's OK if a label is meaningless. The use of labels is a quick and easy way to spit on something as you mention it. I find it stress relieving. Unfortunately, I don't ever take the word 'leftist' or 'liberal' as a terms of contempt, so I never feel the sting of your insult. Quite the opposite I just feel warm and smug inside reading the words 'leftist' and 'liberal'.

Mike Geary
Memphis