[lit-ideas] Re: Leftism and Islamism

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:40:35 +0100

>And your note remains in the quibble-category even though
>it is better developed than the others.

You do me too much honour, Lawrence; my post is not at all "developed"; it
simply throws at you -- and the List -- a web post, from a page you cited,
whose categorization of the Left (whose refusal to see it as monolithic)
 you should note.

>I did say in one of my notes yesterday that I saw no reason to
>develop the entire history of Leftism.

no-one's asking you to, but an understanding that "the Left" is not
monolithic would be a start.  (OK I do now see signs that you
do distinguish, on occasion, between liberals and those to
their left, and that's quite a step for you.)

What we have at hand is an Islamist position, that of Hizbollah,
 Syria, etc arguing that Hizbollah is right and Israel is wrong.
Omar argued to a similar end.  Others on Lit-Ideas agreed with him
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Various of us have attacked certain of Israel's actions.  Some on the
List (not only you) have concluded that there are two monolithic
sides here.  This may in part be my fault, I accept that, for saying
"we" at one stage.  Still.  It is not the case.

LH>I read the material you quoted.  I read it prior to posting

LH>the reference.  It doesn't counter anything that I've said

"Spinoza"'s account of the Left is markedly different from yours

LH>There is Lit-Ideas Leftist support for Hizbollah and opposition to Israel.

I think some people have been trying to tell you they support the Lebanon.

(Andreas certainly has, I'd say; and he is also trying to tell you

he differentiates between peoples and states, as I would prefer to

do, too.) I would hate to see that lovely country become a Shia state,

but that could be the result of its travails these last decades and

in particular, the war now.

By the way, It was you as I recall who posted a discussion with

 Bridget Gabriel and when Stan thanked you for posting a note

so sympathetic to Israel that it made him cry, you were quick

to back-pedal and announced that you weren't in support of

the entire discussion and only posted it to show Gabriel was

 a Christian and not a Muslim and resolved never to post anything

from FrontPageMag again.  Do I remember that incorrectly?

Yes you do remember it incorrectly (or rather, you misinterpreted me).

I did not back-pedal at all.  My initial post was an attempt to

show that Gabriel was not a reliable source.  As I said in

my reply to you then

my point was (and is) that Brigitte Gabriel is not necessarily
representative of Lebanese Christians (and is not telling the
whole story).

Judy Evans, Cardiff