[lit-ideas] Re: The Piano Man

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:04:38 -0400

Paul: This is the way science works: 1000 people fail and one
succeeds.

Ah, but when one succeeds, it's pure magic.  Electricity, computers, clean
water, blood transfusions, medications that keep millions of people alive
or out of pain.  What the Northern Lights really are about, no God needed.
And certainly evolutionary theory.

When I used to teach comparative religions, sometimes a student would ask
me if I believe in miracles.  I always said yes, and told her why.  I flick
a switch and the light goes on, or the radio, or the TV.  I turn a key,
step on the accelerator and the car moves. I am up in years and still have
my teeth.  I feel I owe a lot of debt to a lot of people, including the
ones that tried and failed.  I could go on and on with this, being totally
impressed with seeing a fetus, brain surgery, etc.
And yet, I know the questioner wanted to know if I 'believed' what she
believed.

Especially spectacular are forensic anthropologists who can tell people
about the death of their loved one, even if they couldn't prevent a
massacre as in Bosnia.  And these same people can tell us that Egyptians
did successful brain surgery thousand of years ago.  Awesome.  Literally
awe inspiring.

Veronica

That's
> the 'truth' regardless of how fast your flashlight is going already. So
if
> someone DisCAHVAHS that it's not true, then THAT becomes true. So who
gives
> a shit? Nothing is knowably true.
>
> As far as the consistency of elemental makeup is concerned... what about
> the possibility of other stuff that we haven't discovered? Can't you
> imagine a place in which our stuff doesn't act like there stuff?
>

> >A.A. Sort of like the Founding Fathers' attempt at creating a more
perfect
> >union.  Science, good science, is always willing to become more correct.
> >Otherwise it wouldn't be science.
>
> A friend of mine is an electrical engineer who designs 3-d computer eyes
> which can detect inconsistencies in sheet metal. He has worked at the
same
> place for about 20 years. They have NEVER sold ONE SINGLE thing that they
> have researched and developed. They routinely work for 18 months on
> something and then they get to a point at which they say "it'll never
work"
> and they turf it. This is the way science works: 1000 people fail and one
> succeeds.
>
> Most brilliant minds in physics work their whole life and die without
every
> doing ANYTHING of note. They are sheep who contribute to the law of
> averages that if enough people work on something, discoveries will be
made.
> Right now, many of these brilliant minds are working on a T.O.E.
Apparently
> they think that all other 'mysteries' have been cleared up.
>
> There are generations of physicists banking on the inevitability that
they
> are on the right track with String Theory and M-Field this and blah blah
> blah. The thing is, every time they have something they think is
workable,
> someone else says "yes, but you need 29 dimensions to get rid of the -ve
> scalar in the 5th partial integral of the yadayadayada." Then the next
guy
> comes over to the school and says, no, we need to invent another type of
> imaginary particle ending in 'on' -- maybe go-on or loon -- so that we
can
> get rid of that number right there. That one that doesn't make sense!!!
Of