[lit-ideas] Re: The Meaning of Life: Isn't there a wikipedia article on that?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:05:28 -0230

Contest! (We still do that, don't we?) Come up with a test question equally as
muddled in construct validity as the one Julies' daughter's teacher gave. Here
is my offering.

Ahem ....

This is a closed-book test. Laptops are permitted. Answer all questions. Point
values may not be as indicated. You must write in full sentences although
note-form answers will be read. You have 2 hours, perhaps less. (Remember that
the instructor drinks scotch.)

Given the 2 statements below, identify which is the premise and which is the
conclusion. Identify any missing premises necessary for the soundness of the
argument or identify any conclusion that follows soundly from these
statements.(10 pts)

1. Philosophy is a required course in the Primary/Elementary program and the
Intermediate/Secondary programme in the faculty of Education at my university.

2. Susan is not a graduate of either of our programmes.

* Upon completion, review your answers to the above 3 questions for cogency and
comprehensiveness.

Walter O.
Chair,
Department of Foundations
Minsk School of Teacher Training and Education