[lit-ideas] Re: The Immanuel

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:00:51 -0400

I actually have to get some work done today, so after this I'll have to step
away for awhile.  But...

> Well, no. It is my impression that maxims _are_ hypothetical imperatives

Well, no?  Are you sure?  I really thought there were

1) Maxims
2) Hypothetical imperatives
3) Categorical imperatives

Maxims, I thought, were practical precepts that assume purposes or
particular ends.  Imperatives, I thought were practical laws and that
practical laws do _not_ assume purposes or particular ends, that they are
followed out of adherence to the law in and of itself.  I thought that this
is how maxims and imperatives differ.  Kant says it himself in the Remark on
Definition I (at 5:20 in my books) - "Thus maxims are indeed principles but
_not imperatives_".  The difference I thought then between maxims and
hypothetical imperatives was this:

A maxim is merely a subjective desire dependent on sensibility - it can be
either physical or intellectual (I want pizza or I want truth).  A
hypothetical imperative is _not_ a maxim insofar as it is not just a
particular desire.  Yes, it is  a desire, and it is subjective, but, unlike
in a maxim, there is a subjectively conditioned _necessity_ (you, as a
general rule, should work in your youth so as not to want in old age),
albeit a necessity that cannot be "presupposed in the same degree in all
subjects" (5:21).

Erin
Toronto