[lit-ideas] Re: "The Day After Yesterday"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:24:48 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 5:06:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx writes about 'yesterday':

I know  how
to use it in a variety of contexts but which one is the 'literal'  one?
I'm no longer sure I know how to use it in a variety of contexts, after
reading this from the OED entry for 'yesterday':

"The twofold meaning exhibited in the above forms and in Old  High German
""<NOBR>egestday before yesterday,' but also  'day after tomorrow,' indicates
that the _original_ ['literal'] application of  the word was to a day preceding
or following the present."

"The following apparent example of the English word with the  meaning â??
tomorrowâ?? is isolated, but still valid:

  1533  MORE  Apologia, p.  201,

   I geue them  all playn peremptory warnynge
   now, that they dreue yt of no  lenger. For yf
   they tarye tyll yesterday..I  purpose to
   purchace suche a proteccyon  for them [etc.].

Cheers,

JL