[lit-ideas] Vocative Particles -- Who Needs Them?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:16:39 EST

Or rather, where are they when one needs them?

In a message dated 1/31/2005 3:47:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nantongo@xxxxxxxxx writes:
It will  come as no surprise to our readers to learn [...segue into
interesting pour  ne pas dire maddening precision and profusion of Arabic
vocative  particles]..."

-----

Perhaps profussive as they are, they are not _necessarily_ needed (if you
allow me the redundancy) in Arabic either.

It's obvious that, in English, the vocative function is _emphatic_:

          O John, you are  incredible.

-- more or less equivalent to:

         John, you are  incredible.

and sometimes mispelt as:

        Oh, John, you are  incredible.

--- But perhaps in Arabic the 'vocative particles' become something
_syntactically_ necessary? Or can one always drop them from the utterance, and
still
be _adressing_ someone grammatically?

Cheers,

JL