[lit-ideas] Re: Takiyyah

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:07:25 -0500

Omar: I just hope that Eric will assure me that, when someone puts a knife on his
throat and asks him how much he has on himself, he will answer in accordance with the universal standards of truth and falsehood.

First, they'd have to get me in that position. But if they managed to do that, I would tell them how much money I had. It would be both expedient and truthful.

Knives are particularly hard to defend against, and are dangerous to use. I was watching a knife-fighting training video for Navy Seals in which the trainer asked the daughter of one of the participants to take a black magic marker and try to cut the Seals. The Seals were instructed to try to block or avoid her without being rough. Even though she was a little girl and they were fit young guys, they were soon covered by black marks.

Usually in knife fighting the goal is to cut the opponent's hands so they cannot wield their knife. One does this by controlling zones of attack. But for us nonfighters, the best possible reaction to any violence is to run away.