[lit-ideas] Re: Takiyyah

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:38:43 -0800 (PST)

We use words like truth that have a positive
connotation in (at least) two different senses. First
and I think more common is just a form of appreciation
or approval. Wittgenstein in his lectures on
aesthetics notes that there isn't any effective
difference on calling a cake (or something like that,
I don't have the original in hand) "wonderful",
"delicious" or simply an approving "ahh". And truth
can be used like this do, it is just one way of saying
we approve.

Second, there is the descriptive sense. That a play is
tragic is not simply a nod of approval, and when we
say that something is true in this sense we are saying
something about its nature of existence. Something in
the previous has many but by no means infinite
interpretations, but it's getting late here and I'll
leave at that now.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsini, Finland