[lit-ideas] Re: Takiyyah

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:49:45 -0500

>>Perhaps the problem is that some among us expect Islam to be like Christianity, a religion that sets up impossible moral requirements that nobody in their right mind would ever follow.

Sort of like the US military "higher standards" of conduct and decency, eh?

Part of the point of impossible standards is to provide incentive to try to meet them, reach for higher standards, without the expectation of ever being able to meet them fully.

Think that's the point of Christian standards too.

As for Islam, I wasn't singling it out in my remarks. Non-Muslim Western lawyers, too, are permitted to bend truth, conceal information, use tactical misstatement, etc., to help their clients.