[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday's Revelation

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:04:48 -0400

"Inclination is blind and servile, whether it is kindly or not; and when
morality is in question, reason must not play the part of mere guardian to
inclination but, disregarding it altogether, must attend solely to its own
interest as pure practical reason.  Even this feeling of compassion and tender
sympathy, if it precedes consideration of what is duty and becomes the
determining ground, is itself burdensome to right-thinking persons, brings
their considered maxims into confusion and produces the wish to be freed from
them and subject to lawgiving reason alone.

From this we can understand how consciousness of this ability of a pure
practical reason (virtue) can in fact produce consciousness of mastery over
one's inclinations, hence of independence from them and so too from the
discontent that always accompanies them, and thus can produce a negative
satisfaction with one's state, that is, contentment which in its source is
contentment with one's person."

5:118 Critique of Practical Reason.

Sure, if you're content with being a SOCIOPATH.

Erin
Toronto

Quoting Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I've come to the conclusion that Kant was completely and utterly insane.
> Thank
> you, and have a nice day.
>

> --
> Erin