[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday waffle...

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:31:46 -0400

A.A.  Living inside society doesn't stop me from recognizing that it's
warped.  Take that link I posted regarding Jimmy Dean.  How do you describe
a society that says it's good he died at 24 because now we can worship his
eternal youth.  Or the fact that Porsche sales went up after he was killed
in one.  Not down, but up.  And that's just one tiny example of values that
are twisted beyond belief, then coveted.  Explain that to me without using
the word stupid.

> > If you think people value professions which
> > allegedly take more intelligence (in which case you've missed my point
> > entirely), I would ask why it, society, bows down to the likes of
Brittany
> > Spears, Cher, and other bonobos.
>
> I think you miss my point entirely.  I said society rewards genes,
beauty,
> wealth and luck.  You want society to recognize your contribution with
the
> same zeal it has for them others.  Get over your resentment, Son, it's
> getting in the way of your reading.

A.A. Resentment would imply that I want something that I'm not getting.
What is it that you think society isn't giving me?  My judgments are based
on specifics and lots of them, none of which deal with me, including when I
talk about pharma, since I don't take drugs.  Resentment is not the word.
Disgust is closer to the mark.

> Doctors and lawyers are just as infatuated by celebrity as the rest of
us.
> The belong to the same stupid society that you don't.

A.A. They belong hook, line and sinker.  I want to say the rich lead with
setting values but it's very likely they follow values already set, and
it's the values that are perverted and inverted.  Marlena said people are
stupid but persons are smart.  It's persons who make this thing called
society that churns out people.  I think that saying could be rephrased
into the Christian "be in the world but not of it".  Playing the game but
staying true to one's principles.  Not bad advice, really.

>.
> Relax, Andy.  Remember Joanie's song: "Be not too hard for life is short
and
> nothing is given to man."  We're ALL stupid.  Even Democrats.

A.A.  Kind of reminds me of my eighth grade graduation song, something
about marching off into an abyss.

Andy