[lit-ideas] Re: Spam

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 03:49:25 -0700 (PDT)

The weird thing is:
> The Nigerian scam is hugely successful. According to
a 1997 newspaper article:
> "We have confirmed losses just in the United States
of over $100 million in the last 15 months," said
Special Agent James Caldwell, of the Secret Service
financial crimes division. "And that's just the ones
we know of. We figure a lot of people don't report
them." <
from http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/scams/nigeria.asp

There is also an online exhibit at
http://www.quatloos.com/cm-niger/nigerian_scam_letter_museum.htm
Mike, you need to enter yours.

However the Finnish version is totally legitimite risk
free investment:

    URGENT AND CONFIDENTIAL

    ATTN:PRESIDENT/CEO

    REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS PROPOSAL

    My name is Väinämöinen from Kaleva and I am in
dire need of assistance. Your name and address from a
mutual close friend who indicated that you would be
discreet and helpful.

    My people have lost an item of unimaginable wealth
to the Mistress of the North, Louhi. The sampo, forged
by my good friend the smith Ilmarinen, is capable of
producing unlimited amounts of salt, flour and money
for those who possess it. Ilmarinen was rewarded for
his creation with a wife as he was promised, but I
have led many ill-fated attempts to recoup the sampo
from the evil Louhi and we need your help.

    The sampo is in a Pohjola safe deposit box but,
alas, I cannot get to it because of Louhi and my
people are starving and dying of the cold. If you can
send us $150,000 to buy food and munitions with, we
will give you a 25% share the endless wealth of the
sampo when we have recovered it.

    This is a totally risk-free proposal and the
return on your investment to save my people will be
infinite wealth! Please treat this matter as very
urgent.

    Best regards,

    Väinämöinen

By Elaine Ashton at