[lit-ideas] Re: "Honesty Is The Best Policy": Spanish? -- No.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:17:30 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2004 4:08:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What's  needed, I think, is that someone look at the Spanish original and let
 us
know if 'honesty is the best policy' is the best, or the most natural,
rendering
of the passage.

"No consiento que me anden musarañas ante los ojos, porque se donde me
aprieta el zapato: digolo porque los buenos tendran conmigo mano y concavidad,
los malos ni pie ni entrada."

(Parte II, cap. 33). Note 'shoe', 'zapato', but nothing like Motteaux's  free
translation...

Cheers,

JL