[lit-ideas] Re: "Honesty Is The Best Policy": Spanish? -- No.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:35:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2004 9:24:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 10/14/2004 4:08:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What's  needed, I think, is  that someone look at the Spanish original and
let
us
know if 'honesty  is the best policy' is the best, or the most natural,
rendering
of the passage.
Spanish original:

"No consiento que me anden musarañas ante los ojos, porque se donde  me
aprieta el zapato: digolo porque los buenos tendran conmigo mano y
concavidad, y
los malos ni pie ni entrada."

Motteaux's Translation:

"I know where the shoe wrings me. I will know who and who is  together.
Honesty is the best policy."

The literal translation from the Spanish is okay as far as 'where the shoe
wrings me' (donde me aprieta el zapato), same number of words. The literal
translation of the next passage is:

    I say it  (Digolo)

    because (porque)

    los buenos tendran conmigo
           -- the good  ones will have with me

    mano y concavidad
           -- hand and  concavity?

   y los malos
          -- and the evil  ones

   ni pie ni entrada
          -- neither foot  nor entry.

No mention of the police being honest, etc.

Cheers,

JL