[lit-ideas] Post Debate thoughts

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:20:08 EDT

heres the
link to the latest USA Today poll.

Remember that USA Today and Gallup tend to lean more pro-Bush...thus they
probably had a harder time posting this (to their credit they did though  <g>)

._http://www.usatoday.com/news/polls/tables/live/2004-10-14-poll.htm_
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/polls/tables/live/2004-10-14-poll.htm)
CNN also showed a difference.

What worried me after the debate was Bush's "likeability" factor.   And, that
besides a very very slight edge in 'handling taxes' , were the only  things
in the USA Today poll that showed Bush with a lead for this debate.   Some of
the other contrasts were pretty significant.  I was very worried  about the
whole 'sharing your faith' aspect of things.  Bush just does that  so well.  On
the other hand, Kerry did do better [though still looked  uncomfortable] in
terms of talking about faith, what it meant to him, how it  interplays in his
politics, etc.  Since most of the religious conservative  base Bush has already
are voting for him, they probably liked his rhetoric but  the debates, I think,
are more to target the 'undecided', the fact that  Kerry is able to show by
his uncomfortableness that he does have faith but  just does not like to talk
about it publicly is not necessarily a negative  for alot of people.   (who
really have not made up their minds  <g> as they probably are more multiple
issue
voters rather than single  issue voters--and there are such interesting
differences between these two that  are hard for multiple issue voters to be
able
to say it is best to go one way or  the other...I think of the issue of partial
birth abortion and child care...one  leans towards one but will take better
care of the other...and so, what does one  do?  Have more kids in the world but
not take care of them?  Or let  people choose on their own [big difference
between 'supporting' the issue and  letting people have 'choice', I think, and
do think that could be better  explained.] and help take care of those who do
end up on this planet?)

In Missouri, I got a phone call from one of the people that we had dropped
signs off to last week.  About eight of them have been stolen.  (she  lives in
a fairly upscale suburb east of mine--her mom and brother and several  friends
all live in not just the same suburb, but even the same pretty new
subdivision.)   This is the third major area in KC that this has
happened--there is
one subdivision here in Lee's Summit which has Kerry signs  being stolen as
soon
as they are put up--in Prairie Village, Kansas, they *were*  being stolen
until one of the creative souls there started putting Karo syrup  (it is clear
syrup) on the signs so that if the people stole them, at least they  would have
sticky hands.  They started slashing them instead.

The polls show that in Missouri it is 49% ready to vote for Kerry-Edwards
and 49% ready to vote for Bush-Cheney.  The paid staffers from the Kerry
Campaign are pulling most of their paid staff out from Missouri and sending
them  to
Ohio where Kerry (as of yesterday) had a lead of 4 points.   The  State
Democratic party in Missouri is placing more staff people around to fill  in
the
gaps--but there is also an incredible number of people who have been
volunteering since the Democratic Convention.

I am going to speak at a Moms4Kerry rally on October 30th--but only have
three minutes.  Where does one start?

It IS discouraging to think of the people who have been so dishonest that
they would do what was done in Las Vegas and in Portland.  This election is
pretty frightening in terms of the thuggery which is showing up in the
Republican Party. (and to think that the Dems used to have that reputation
<g>)   The
polarization of our country is very very awful.   Most of the time I suppose
people are able to keep a slight veneer on their  thoughts/feelings--but there
seems to be a wider gap developing between what is  said/done and what is
thought/felt.

I think it comes down to respect...

(maybe that will be my theme...)

Ben's social studies teacher (they are studying the election/debates in
preparation for Kids Voting) is very pro-Bush and that has made things
interesting in that class.  One of the boys (he's brilliant--always has
been--and is
the reason that there are only three girls playing the violin in  strings
class...he recruited all the boys to join him in fourth grade when they  start
strings class.  In kindergarten, the boys all had 'clubs'.  His  was the
"Environmental Club" [the kids, it turned out, had to pay a quarter to  join
<g>.  He
has been focused on that for years--though last  year his family allowed him to
have a very unusual Christmas party--he sent out  flyers to friends, family,
schoolmates, etc. asking them to come by their home  for an Open House and to
bring a canned good as his goal was to take enough food  to one of the food
kitchens--his goal was to take enough to feed about 70  families for Christmas
dinner.)  Anyway, since Ben had missed the last  debate ('cause of his hiking
campout from Friday to Sunday) and we had not yet  watched the tape of it, he
couldn't really do more than mention the stats that  he already knew.  But
Joseph, from what Ben said...whew.  Watching the  debate in HIS home must have
been
very interesting. (Obviously they are all very  pro-Kerry--his dad plays for
the Kansas City Symphony and is very very involved  in community
activities...his mom is a radio-ad actress...wouldn't that be a fun  job?)

Just my thoughts,
Marlena in Missouri