[lit-ideas] Re: Some of you may remember ... ueber-gaffe

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:36:42 -0400

Volodya: This makes sense politically where the
source of authority is consensus by the polity but it is nonsensical as a ground of justifiable moral judgement.

But your concern was precisely, "how 'culturally inappropriate' can intelligibly be divorced from the 'should' in this case."

So I provide you with an example of the divorce by appeal to the authority of polity. And you respond with an argument appealing to the authority of "justifiable moral judgement." And this leaves me to stutter and begin sentences with conjunctions. So it becomes a matter of "which authority?" as to how we proceed.

It's like I say this chess opening has transposed from the Nimzovitch Defense into a Queen's gambit, and you reply that it was a Queen's Gambit all along. Sure, from the point of view of a Queen's Gambit at move twelve it may be, but from the point of view of the original opening moves, it's a Nimzo turned into a QGD.

Hence if you demand "to say something in the domain of the latter not the former," you will, regardless of my intervention.

Eric