[lit-ideas] Re: Sherlock Holmes on knowledge of the solar system

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:37:11 -0700

Andreas wrote

As I pointed out for Holmes's concerns, if the earth was at the center of the solar system, it'd have to be large enough to anchor the planets. The surface of the earth would be 12,000 times greater. That's 12,000 earths. Such a world would have a tremendous impact on society.

Someone once remarked to the late Norman Malcolm, that if the entire universe were reduced all at once to half its present 'size,' we wouldn't be able to detect the difference. Malcolm frowned, thought for a minute, put his hands to his head, and drawled, 'Well, there would be this tremendous feeling of pressure...'

Robert Paul