[lit-ideas] Re: Seduction, Not Force, That's Where It's At

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:11:49 -0800

From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>

Sandy, commenting on Mikey's remark, challenges the description of
what the modern corporate economy does as

> "forcing consumers to fund their purchases with a massive increase in
> debt acquisition."

Marketing has gone the same way. There are so many goods and so much
information pouring through the marketplace that the idea that anyone
could be forced to choose has become ridiculous.

John is right. Consumers have an almost infinite number of choices.

Sellers have very little power to sway consumers. Consumers are fleeing TV/radio/newspapers where advertising the main message. Tivo, web, iPod, Google News, blogs, RSS, etc. are making TV/radio/newspaper obsolete.

On a side note: I read yesterday that the Washington Post is down to a circulation of 600,000. That's really bad. andreas.com is at 100,000. My various websites have a cummulative readership around 240,000 per month.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com