[lit-ideas] Re: School Daze/The Modern World

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:25:53 +0900

> Instead of carrying out my plan and working on syllabi this
> afternoon, I took my brand new iMac to a second repair shop.  They
> confirmed what the first had said: old computer screens were in fact
> better than the whizzy new LED ones, which are indeed worse at
> reproducing fonts.

Hate to mention it, dear friend, but have you had your eyes checked? When my
screen began looking blurry, I realized that I hadn't visited an
opthamologist in over a decade. Yep, it was, as the Japanese put it "roogan"
(aging eyes). Besides getting a new prescription for my bifocals, I got a
pair of glasses made with the focus adjusted for the arms-length distance at
which I usually sit in front of my 20" LED monitor. Now everything is
crystal clear, and I don't have the headaches I used to from constantly
squinting at the screen.

Even so, I also love the big screens, since now I can zoom in to 150% and
find reading even small type very comfortable, indeed.

John

P.S. The aging eyes thing is real. Has to do with increasing weakness in the
muscles that control the motions of the eyeball and thus the distance at
which your eyes are focused.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN