[lit-ideas] Re: Saturday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:00:16 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I wrote drafts for the Sunday poem.  They are, alas--or maybe, fortunately,
from your point of view-- currently vacationing chez le Mac repair shop,
lazing, nuzzling, snuggling among all the hard cases, hard discs, hardware,
misbehaving iPods and other thugs.  Meanwhile, all I have to offer is overheard
teen exuberance at our younger daughter's annual "Monty Python Party."  While
scarfing pizza they stood around the kitchen and chatted as if I  were not only
buried in a book but truly an invisible one of them rather than an Authority
Figure.  This I enjoyed.

at the annual monty python party
among teenage girls
when i look up from the latest adventures of arkedy renko
i detect neither innocence nor guilt

i just catch phrases

if venice sinks in seventy years
i'll live in it for sixty
my dad's like godparent
or something?
married an italian
and they have an apartment
in a palazzo
and we were invited to their friends who have an apartment
in a palazzo
on the grand canal
and oh my god we were like looking down on the grand canal
it was sooo cool

in japanese class once
no you tell it
in japanese class
we were given a diagram of like body parts?
and we were supposed to identify them?
and you said like
i'm aroused
japanese was like that

you have a boyfriend who is in art school?
and he teaches at evergreen?
is that like legal?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon