[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:24:49 -0500

JK:
>>Absolutely perfect.  After a debilitatingly exhausting week, from which I'm
>>barely now recovering to face whatever chaos and bizarre events I will face
>>this coming week, I needed that.<<

Assuming you're being sardonic, all I can say is, Sorry, babe.  : )

Mike Geary
Memphis

  Absolutely perfect.  After a debilitatingly exhausting week, from which I'm
barely now recovering to face whatever chaos and bizarre events I will face
this coming week, I needed that.

  Julie Krueger

  On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    ON A SUNNY SUNDAY

    If the fire in the sun
    suddenly went out
    we wouldn't know it
    for eight and a half minutes.
    Lovers would go on loving
    teasing out pleasures from skin,
    angry men would still smash their fists
    into sheetrock only to redouble their fury,
    hagglers would continue to
    haggle down merchants
    just one more dime,
    mourners still to grieve,
    readers go on racing to sentence's end
    as the flow
    of light and heat continued to embrace the earth
    for eight and half minutes.
    Then, of a sudden: darkness total,
    followed by
    rapidly growing cold.
    Everyone standing then,
    shivering in the dark,
    trying to remember
    where they last left the flashlight.

    Hell, that's my life now,
    only I don't know how many minutes
    I've got left.  Maybe only eight and a half.

    Mike Geary
    Memphis