[lit-ideas] Re: Radical Islam and Radical Americanism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 08:35:18 -0700

Donal,

Excellent post!

Since Mike obviously didn't have Ireland in mind when he wished he could go out
and shoot a lot of Republicans, he may be too disgusted with our election to
answer your note.  Here are the election results for Tennessee:
http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2010/11/03/the-election-is-over-and-the-results-are-in/

I saw Mike as having "death" rather than "violence" as his concern.  He did use
the term violence in the sense you use it, but when I challenged him saying
that Leftists have been some of the most verbally violent people I've ever
debated, he said that sort of violence doesn't count as long as it stops short
of physical harm or death.  But from a Christian standpoint, and Mike was after
all raised a Catholic, hatred in one's heart for one's brother is tantamount to
killing him.

I saw Mike as never having recovered from the "body bags" of the 60s & 70s.
Death trumps all virtue.  The virtue "courage" for example is trumped and
rendered worthless if it results in anyone's death.   He hasn't answered my
note challenging him to respond to Bill Maher's advocacy of certain Western
virtues, because according to Mike these are all "God words" and he has no
truck with them.  "Death" is all that matters.  If any of Maher's "virtues"
cause "death" then they are worthless.

Mike is conflicted about these matters because he stops short of calling
himself a complete pacifist.  He has said that "of course we should defend
ourselves."  But then he hems this defense with so many qualifications that any
general told he must fight a war while complying with them would surely resign.

But I like the way you have presented these matters.  You have swept up death
"violence" and "force".  "The use of force" subsumes death and violence --
"force" not being burden in the way that "death" and "violence" are.

Mike is probably still too hung-over after this additional setback to his
former hero, Barack Obama.  He had high hopes that Obama would move this nation
even further leftward.   A majority, given the evidence of yesterday, was
convinced that he moved it too far in that direction as it was.

I heard pundits speculating over whether Obama could recast himself as a
centrist.  If he can then he might stand a chance of being reelected in 2012.
But if he continues pursuing his own ideas of what this country needs, despite
the certain knowledge that a majority in this nation disagrees with him, then
he will almost certainly (so the pundits say) be a one-term president.