[lit-ideas] Radical Islam and Radical Americanism

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 21:59:08 -0500

LAWRENCE:

"I have heard a number of Leftists, in response to observations like these,
define their own positions to say that they don't support Radical Islam "but
. . ." and by the time they are done it seems to me that they have
contradicted themselves. But watch the Bill Maher clips. Can my favorite
Leftist, Billy Blogblather watch the Maher clips and agree with them? I
doubt it, and that is the difference. The Blogblathers still support Radical
Islam."

MOI:

I'm not sure what universe Lawrence lives in but it's surely not this one.
I have time and time and time again proclaimed my belief that fascism is one
of the greatest evils in the world.  I have time and time and time again
equated Radical Islam with fascism -- just as I equate Radical Christianity
and Radical Judaism and Radical national movements such as ETA and the IRA
and some groups in South America with fascism.  Because I do not believe in
the denial of the rights of Muslims in America nor endorse the wholesale
slaughter of Muslims does it mean I support Radical Islam (by which I assume
you mean supporters of terrorism).  I did not support Radical Americanism
especially not when it was murdering people in El Salvador and Nicaragua and
Vietnam and Cambodia or any of the other countries we terrorized for years.
Get your facts straight, Lawrence.  I hate fascism regardless of what
program it supports.