[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry and Madness

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:53:01 +0200

An old itch, but one i would still like 'scratched' ....

On 22. Sept 2006, at 20:15, Eric Yost wrote:

… the average amount of time that U.S. households spent reading and listening to poetry during the yearlong 2005-06 TV season that ended last week increased by three minutes, to a record of eight hours and 14 minutes.

Just for the sake of comparison (and - as I look into my troubled soul - no doubt, to ease a masochistic itch), could someone please post the *daily* average amount of time that U.S. households spent watching TV during that same season?

(Should average figures for 'households' be unavailable, perhaps figures for 'individuals' could be posted and we could conjecture how to translate the 'poetry' figure so that some meaningful comparison could be made.)

It is interesting to note - and further wonder about - just what sorts of statistics are recorded and disseminated. Is there, for example, somewhere (other than having the statistical survey conducted oneself, of course) where one can find such statistics as:

- the average amount of time that U.S. households spent listening to recordings of 'classical' music during the yearlong 2005-06 TV season?

- the average amount of time … spent in (amateur) performance of 'classical' music …?

- etc.

Chris Bruce,
in Kiel, Germany