[lit-ideas] Re: One step closer to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:24:57 -0500

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

With its snazzy snout, convertible top, Corvette V8 engine and jet "impeller" -- the stainless-steel cone protruding from the rear that propels it through water -- the Hydra Spyder is poised to become the first, mass-produced amphibious automobile in America.

In 1960 or 1961, there were a few amphibious cars running around north Florida. I saw one in Gainesville. These sure looked to be "mass produced," but they didn't work all that well. They had two propellers at the bottom rear, and rudders, not aqua-jets for propulsion, and they were ONLY good on calm inland lakes; they would have immediately swamped in surf or medium seas.

But this kind of car has been made, on and off, in the south as a commercial venture for many years. If the announcement claimed this was the first commercial amphibious car, I'd start looking for the second bit of mis-information that is bound to be there somewhere....