[lit-ideas] Re: One step closer to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:42:41 EDT

It would indeed be "pretty hype".  Unfortunately I have only the info  the
article disclosed ...not being an engineer... you might ask  ...um....Mike?
(Re. installing gas stations across the ocean not only  would it be a VERY bad
idea, but I think undoable?

Julie Krueger
clueless but interested

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: One step closer
to Chitty Chitty Bang  Bang  Date: 10/18/2006 7:32:04 A.M. Central Standard
Time  From: _erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Hm, how far can you go with it? E.g. if we were to  install gas
stations on the ocean (a very bad idea, I might add),  could one drive
across an ocean with it?  That'd be pretty  hype.

Erin
Toronto

Quoting  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx:

> [...]
> have been agonizingly slow in the wet, where  wheels create  drag. One
> well-known washout was the "Amphicar,"  which was mass-produced  in
> Germany from 1961
>  to 1968. On roadways, the Amphicar got up to 70 miles  per hour but
>  disappointed in the water, mustering a dash speed of just 7  miles per
hour.
> In the mid-1990s, Alan Gibbs, a New Zealand  inventor-entrepreneur,  founded
> Gibbs Technologies, of Nuneaton,  England, with the aim of
> developing the first
>  high-speed amphibious car. (Gibbs had a 194-foot  yacht, which he  enjoyed
> outfitting with aquatic "toys" -- meaning anything  from a  Jet Ski to a
> submarine.)
> In 2003, after seven years of work with  70 British engineers and
designers,
> Gibbs launched "Aquada," an  amphibious sports car, a la 007,  with
>  retractable
> wheels and a jet drive that propelled it along water at  a  maximum speed of
> 32.8 miles per hour.
> To the acclaim of  the British media, it made its test-run at London's
> Docklands, scene of  a high-speed boat chase in the James Bond film
> "The   World Is
> Not Enough." Not long thereafter, the Aquada made the  Guinness  Book
>  of Records
> for the fastest  crossing of the English Channel by an  amphibious vehicle.
> (Sir  Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Atlantic,  planed across in
> 1 hour, 40
> minutes and 6 seconds.)
> At the time,  Giljam's company, Cool Amphibious Manufacturers  International
> LLC,  which he founded with his wife, Julie, in 1999, was  turning out
>  amphibious buses, a dozen or so a year, at a factory in   Rochester,
> N.Y. (Tour
> operators are the Giljams'  main clients; eight  "Hydra Terras" are
> currently  in
> operation in New York City.)
> The Aquada's big splash threw  Giljam into creative overdrive. "I  suppose,"
> he told a reporter  once, "we just wanted to answer the Brits."  The
amphibian
> he  envisioned would have to be faster, tougher, and more  economical than
the
> Aquada, which retailed for $300,000.
> And unsinkable.  "Safety," says Giljam, a 12-year veteran of a rescue  squad
> in his  native Lakeville, New York, "means everything to me."
> And so, he took to  the drawing board.
> History in the making
> Today, the factory  doesn't look like much from Interstate 95: a
> sand-colored,  corrugated-roof structure on an 11-acre wedge of
>  property  covered in
> knee-high weeds and hemmed in by overgrown  live oaks.
> On the floor of this 20,000-square-foot building, though,  amphibian
history
> is in the making.
> Near the far corner,  the lemon-yellow, fiberglass body agleam, sits a
Hydra

--
Erin