[lit-ideas] Re: One of the better fatwa's

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 20:46:00 +0000

I wrote, "They've filed a lawsuit against him:  "A powerful Washington, D.C.
law firm told YAF that Robert was, in essence, a hate-filled liar and that CAIR
had ordered the law firm "to purse every available and appropriate legal remedy
to redress any false and defamatory statements that made" at the conference."
[sic]    Judy of course found out that I didn't have it quite right and in her
inimitable fashion pounced.  Is what is occurring here a law suit?   I thought
the language implied one, but as I found out by reading the attendant site one
goes to to contribute money:

"The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) - whose very founders have
been arrested in connection with terrorist activities - has decided to silence
once and for all its harshest and bravest critic: the Freedom Center's Robert
Spencer.

"CAIR is using legal threats to extort groups who ask Robert to speak at their
gatherings and tell the truth about Islamic Jihad. You can view the letter by
following this link.

"To help Robert, we are creating a special Jihad Watch Defense Fund to counter
these threats. Your contribution of $35, $50, $100, $200, $500 or more right
now will help us raise the $250,000 we need to send the message that we are not
intimidated and to keep Robert and the Jihad Watch exposing groups like CAIR
who mask themselves as friends of our country."

That's the sort of thing that occurred to Communists and Communists
sympathizers in Hollywood at one time.  Threats were issued and actors,
directors, editors, etc, couldn't work.  Back then, however, it wasn't lawyers
who issued the threats.  CAIR seems better funded and better organized if they
can afford the "general counsel for the Democratic National Committee."

Now as to the FATWA which was my primary interest, I saw nothing in what I read
to indicate that it was CAIR who issued it.  Spencer has lots of Islamist and
Jihadist enemies.  I don't think CAIR issues fatwas.  The letter doesn't say
who issued it.

Let us now turn to Judy's source, Little Green Footballs.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=26493&only&rss

In this article we find nothing about fatwas but that "Hot Air has the details
on CAIR’s latest attempt to force Americans to submit to their radical Islamic
agenda, as they threaten the Young America’s Foundation with legal action if
they allow an event featuring Robert Spencer to take place."

Further down we learn that YAF's response to CAIR was  “CAIR can go to Hell and
they can take their 72 virgins with them.”   My, my.  I can see why Spencer
might need some money if that's going to be his attitude.

Note also, "The author of the legal threats above is apparently also the
general counsel for the Democratic National Committee."  My, my, my!  What an
outrage, don't you think, Judy?

I didn't find anything in Little Green Footballs about the Fatwa; but if one
were too actually look for the FATWA, one would find,

http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/685
http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/006547.php  and
http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/006451.php  and
http://jihadwatch.org/archives/006580.php

Lawrence

From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, Aug-8-2007 12:40 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: One of the better fatwa's

Lawrence

LH>offense (according to the Islamists) was that Spencer argued
LH> that Islam isn't tolerant, and isn't a religion of peace.  The Islamists
LH> responded by the fatwa ""May Allah rip out his spine from his back
LH>and split his brains in two, and then put them both back, and then do it
LH>over and over"

this is A LIE.  CAIR has not even brought -- as you alleged they had -- a
lawsuit.  (My information's from littlegreenfootballs -- or similar place --
I googled to try to find the truth about this, my previous post said what
they
said, copying from a Xerox of a letter they had on their site.)  They got a
lawyer
to write a letter to YAF telling them -- in effect -- either to call off
the panel or rid if of defamatory content. Now of course such
letters have a chilling effect on free speech.  But only a raving loon
would pretend a) that this kind of behaviour is anything other than
rabidly 'Western/capitalist', b) that it is -- or even amounts to --
a fatwa.

(OK not only a raving loon, also, someone extraordinarily dishonest.)

RETRACT.

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, Aug-8-2007 12:14 PM