[lit-ideas] Re: Of demons and men

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:56:47 EST

I went through a serious several-year jag of reading Israel/Palestine issue
books.  I read books written by Jews, by Westerners who lived in the midst  of
the conflict for a time, by Palestinian sympathizers, by political gurus and
secular journalists, all the Arab/Muslim texts Eric mentioned (well, most of
them).  I can't count the number I read.  Many out loud w/ my  husband.  The
one sure thing I came away with was the certainty that in  terms of cultural
and political clashes there simply is no objective right and  wrong, there
simply are no white hats and black hats.  There are agendas I  support and
actions
I find damnable.  But it's all a mixed bag of motives  and rights and beliefs
and and and ......

I stopped reading on the subject for a while.  It was too  demoralizing.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Of demons and men
Date: 2/20/06 1:30:37 AM Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Iâm currently reading Robin Wrightâs The Last Great Revolution, Turmoil and

Transformation in Iran.  I previously read her In The Name of God, The
Khomeini Decade,  so I have a very good feel for what Wright thinks of
Khomeini. In
both of her  books she describes Khomeini entering the Iranian Revolution with
traditional  Shiite beliefs, esp that Religious leaders should not be in
governmental  leadership positions.  He made several announcements to that
effect.
  His intention was to stay out of government unless there was some problem
he  needed to referee.  But as time went on he was drawn more and more into
government until when the Iranian constitution was eventually written, he
became
 the Velayat-e Faqih, the Supreme Leader.
Iâm also reading Kenneth Timmermanâs  Countdown to Crisis, the Coming
Nuclear  Showdown with Iran.  Timmerman addresses the same facts Wright  does,
but
draws very different conclusion â think Andreasâ views on Bush.   In
Timmermanâ
s view Khomeini wasnât drawn into anything,   He was  orchestrating a clever
plot.  He intended to be the Veleyat-e Faqih from  the beginning.  He played
reluctant and hard to get to get  the people behind him â to get them to
demand
that he become the Supreme  Leader.
Iâm uncomfortable with Timmermanâs  approach to Khomeini.  I donât trust
conspiracy theories.  I fully  accept the idea that we are each capable of all
sorts of things we donât think  we are capable of as long as we arenât
tempted
by them.  I accept that if  we are subjected to strong temptation we shall,
most of us, succumb.  So I  can accept that Khomeini may have been tempted to
compromise his Shiite beliefs  when he had the opportunity to become (of felt
the necessity to become)  Veleyat-e Faqih.  But I find it hard to believe in
the
cynical conniving  Khomeini that cleverly planned everything in advance.  If
he was that  cynical, clever, and conniving, then why did he make so many
other  mistakes?  For example, he got rid of the Shahâs American weapons, and

nuclear development sites.  A Shiite trusts in Allah, not in American
technology
and weapons, Khomeini said.  But when the war with Iraq started,  his people
begged him to change his mind and let them get some decent weapons to  fight
Saddam with; which he reluctantly agreed to, and then they had to go to a
source, the USSR, they hadnât used before which necessitated inordinate
delays
and learning curves.
Timmerman has demonized Khomeini  while Wright has described a human being
who happened to be the religious leader  who became the Supreme Leader of Iran.

I shall be happy to read anything  else I can find by Robin Wright.  I shall
be very reluctant to read another  book by Timmerman.
Lawrence