[lit-ideas] Re: Names/ One Slight and Very Sad Irony

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:34:12 -0800

Today's paper has an obit for Louisa May Alcott Deardorff Anderson. Had they known who she was going to marry, her parents could have saved themselves a lot of effort and just named the baby Sherwood.

Different subject. I think Katy Muldoon, who wrote a piece for today's Oregonian, shares my interest in names. She reported that Benson High School chose its Rose princess (who will be entered in the citywide Rose Festival competition), a girl who is headed for Mount Holyoke. Here are that girl's accomplishments: National Honor Society (of course), on the tennis team, member of the National Society of High School Scholars and the Ignite mentoring program, the Health Occupations Students of America and the Asian American club. She volunteers at: Oregon Museum of Science and Industry's chemistry lab, Columbia Care Center, Legacy Emanuel and Good Samaritan hospitals, Blanchet House of Hospitality. (So how many hours are there in her week, do you think?) And what's this Asian-American's name? Roseminda Marie "Rose" Nabehet. She is the daughter of Karen and Bogs Nabehet. She has six siblings, who were listed in the piece (I've not seen siblings listed previously): Jonah and Jonaly Nabahet; Dennis Hutchinson; Iryne, Cherrie and Mervin Padua.

On the next page it was reported that a 22 year old soldier, Ivette Gonzales Davila, was convicted of killing two others soldiers, Timothy and Randi Miller and pouring acid on their bodies. She took the couple's seventh month old child and was planning to give it to an orphanage. We stopped at the Starbucks just outside Fort Lewis, where this occurred, on our way back on Sunday and I told Julia that what struck me about the military personnel who were buying coffee was how polite they were to one another.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon