[lit-ideas] Re: Morc Huck Pump

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas@Freelists. Org" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:57:06 +0700

Eric Yost wrote an interesting synopsis of Nabokov's _Bend Sinister_ concluding:

 "Is it resentment? Is it feeling offended?  Or is it the
 transfiguration of one or the other by art? After all, in offense or
 resentment seen through art, the irrational is held in an extremely
 rational container."

 I am aesthetically challenged so I won't dare comment on the Nabokov,
 but in the realm of morals, it matters whether norms 'satisfy' the
 moral offense to which said norms are a response.  I admit this talk
 of 'satisfaction' is on shaky grounds but as even the Sage of
 Koenigsberg had to acknowledge, practical reason requires some
 assurance that there is a happy relation between conditions in the
 world and reason itself.  In other words, part of what gives morality
 its normative force is the conviction that being moral makes a
 difference in the world.

 I will throw caution to the wind and suggest that perhaps something
 similar is the case with aesthetic works.

 Sincerely,

 Phil Enns
 Yogyakarta, Indonesia