[lit-ideas] Re: Morc Huck Pump

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:06:56 -0330

My point is a philosophical one - which is to say, a transcendental one. I'm
saying that what we justifiably take to be a morally permissible or morally
impermissible maxim is established with reference to whether a generalizable
(universalizable) interest is identified in the maxim arrived at through
discourse.

The justifiedness of moral maxims or judgements is here a matter of satisfaction
of the counterfactual conditional: "Were this maxim subjected to discursive
procedures of symmetry and reciprocity, it would emerge as a morally justified
maxim (decision, policy, etc.)

Perhaps in simpler terms, if what you're doing is wrong, the "wrongness" of your
action (and will) consists in the fact that interlocutors engaged in discourse,
under the epistemic conditions identified by Habermas, could not find your
action justifiable. (Scanlon, in his *What we owe each other* has a similar
Kantian transcendental claim.)

Cheers, Walter