[lit-ideas] Re: Movie

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:39:02 -0400

Irene: We replay on this list what happened; reality is reported to you, you get mad not at the reality or the perpetrator of the reality, but at the messenger.

Obviously I don't believe you are reporting reality, but a sort of alarmist fiction that admits no correction. You may think I am also fabulating just as stubbornly. However, you seem to linger on past policy mistakes, rather than look forward to new developments, in support of your view that the sky is falling.

Try reading _The Pentagon's New Map_ by Thomas P.M. Barnett, for a less alarmist take on events. He's pro-globalism and uses an information paradigm, probably has other limitations I'm not aware of, but his is a refreshing perspective. You can buy his book here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0399151753/104-6947401-6419119?v=glance&n=283155