[lit-ideas] Re: Meta-Philosophy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:27:00 EDT

Donal McEvoy writes:

>>It seems to me there is no real need to view the
>>philosophical discussion of the character of philosophy
>>as 'meta-philosophy' in any important sense,

>>'Meta-philosophy' has a somewhat pretentious  title.

Geary comments:

>God, I love this list.

----

McEvoy may recall that this alll began  with Geary who causally said -- in
reply to Erin Holder's passing  scepticism about philosophy. Trying to console
her, Geary claimed:

        "I don't know what philosophy  is, but I know what it is not".

Chase found that slightly absurd, and R. Paul tried to re-label the inquiry
into "meta-philosophical" terms.

It _may_ be pretentious, but remember that sometimes, pretentious  sobriquets
_catch_ the attention, which was what Geary was aiming at.

I stand firm with my previous opinion. Surely a _non-philosophical_ answer
can be given to 'what is philosophy?'. Ditto, a non-artistic answer can be
given  to 'what is art?' However, if a _philosophical_ answer is given, we call
this  'meta-philosophical' (to distinguish it from other answers to the
question
which  may not be philosophical).

Cheers,

JL