[lit-ideas] What Is This Thing Called ...

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:37:33 EDT

Donal McEvoy taking (surprise, surprise) a neo-Popperian stance,  writes:

>The same [as what Geary was saying] is true of "science":
>for we cannot say what science is except by taking an
>ultimately normative view of what makes something 'valuable' from  a
>certain perspective -- in Popper's view it being  testability
>-falsifiablity by observation that underpins the character of  science].

This reminds me of Chalmers' book, "What is this thing called science",
itself a parody of the Porter song now featured in the great recent movie
"De-Lovely" (Lyrics below, plus reviews of Chalmers' book from amazon). It
would
seem that for _any_ (concept) x, then any answer "what is x" is 'meta-x'. This
may lead persons into depression, or something?

Cheers,

JL

---

Bm7-5 A7             Gdim   Dm
What  is this thing called  love?
Fdim   E7     Bm7-5  A
This funny thing called love?
A7            Gdim  Dm
Just who can solve its mystery?
Fdim   E7             Bm7-5    A
Why should it make a fool of me?
Am  D7                Am7   D7   G
I saw you there one wonderful  day;
F                  Dm7      E
You took my heart and threw it  away.
E7            A          Gdim A7   Dm
That's why I ask the Lawd up  in Heaven above
Fdim E7   Bm7-5          A
What is this thing called love?

WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED  'SCIENCE'
by David Chalmers

This new edition of Chalmers's highly  regarded and widely read
work-translated into fifteen languages-is extensively  rewritten and
reorganized,
reflecting the experience of the author, his  colleagues, and correspondents in
twenty
years of teaching from the previous  edition. Significant additions are new
chapters on the Bayesian approach to  science, the new experimentalism, the
nature of scientific laws, and the  realism/anti-realism debate. An ideal
introduction to scientific method,  Chalmers's work is both accessible to
beginners
and a valuable resource for  advanced students and scholars.

Introduction to the Scientific Method, May 9, 2002
Chalmers's book is the widely read and well-received classical  and basic
introduction to the epistemology of science. Though this book has  important
insights that can be applied to the quantitative studies in social  science, it
is
essentially an introduction to the philosophy of natural  sciences. Basic
concepts and important thinkers are dealt with in order in  separate chapters
and
at the end of each chapter a critique is provided and  entries for further
reading are provided. The latest edition of the book  includes an extensive
chapter on Feyerabend and his radical agenda. Besides this  the themes covered
in
the book include observation, experiment, induction,  falsification, Kuhn,
Popper, Bayes, realism and anti-realism. It is a handy  reference work for
graduate students and scholars alike who would like to know  more about the
selection process of hypotheses, how and why hypotheses can be  rejected, how
important a framework is for any "scientific" research, what it  means to have
paradigm shift et cetera. All in all, it is a seminal  introduction to the
scientific method.

What is this thing called Philosophy of  Science?, May 17, 2002
"Philosophy of science ... pointlessly  scholastic activity which is liable
to confuse the budding scientist" - Matthew  Stewart, 'The Truth about
Everything'. Once upon a time, the wisest men in the  land turned their
thoughts to
the vexed question of how it is possible for  farriers to shoe horses
(actually,
what they asked was: in what sense, if any,  is it meaningful to say that
'farriers' 'shoe' 'horses'?). Some said that you  nail specially shaped lumps
of
iron on the extremities located at the four  corners, and if one drops off you
replace it with another, hopefully  longer-lasting; but this was dismissed by
almost all the wise men as too  pedestrian for words. One of the wise men won
fame by pointing out that there  was a time when people got by without ever
shoeing their horses. Those people,  he said, would have been quite unable to
perceive why the moderns put dead  weights on their horses' hooves (even
though, of course, they were just as smart  as us). This was called the
incomprehensibility of paranickels. It was received  with jubilation throughout
the land,
especially by those who thought that  shoeing horses was rather a vulgar
business, boringly technical and probably  involving difficult sums; now they
knew
the secret and didn't have to bother.  Another wise man made his name by
questioning how far the farriers could be said  to be shoeing horses at all.
Perhaps, he speculated, they and their customers  only think that's what
they're
doing, or agree among themselves to say so;  anyway, nailing shoes to horses'
heads ought to work just as well. The greatest  influence on cultured folk came
from radical thinkers who doubted whether there  were such things as 'horses'
and 'horseshoes'; or, if by chance there were,  whether 'shoeing horses' might
not be better characterized as 'horsing shoes'.  This was agreed by one and
all to be clever and humorous and (because it was  written mostly in French)
deep as well. By this time, since it was clear that a  learned consensus on the
farriers' art was nowhere in sight, it was suspected by  some of the wise men,
and by many who had caught snatches of the argument, that  the farriers must
be doing something wrong. This was called the epistemological  crisis of the
post-Enlightenment ferrous hegemony, and before long it was  received wisdom in
all the land. Simple country pomos would tell you about it at  the drop of a
hat. The farriers found this exasperating. One reportedly said  that a
philosophy of horse-shoeing is about as useful to farriers as ornithology  is
birds. But he was a bongo-player and part-time Nobel laureate; that was  just
the
kind of thing he said. As to this book, it is nicely written and  provides a
solid, readable if uninspired introduction to the current state of  play. Many
readers will find it useful for filling in the background, bringing  the story
up to date, and yielding quality material for cocktail-party  conversations.
It is best read in conjunction with the same author's 'Science  and Its
Fabrication'. Of course, you must also read the wise men's original  works
(don't
worry, we're not talking Wittgenstein here). But whatever you do,  younkers,
never go near a smithy: to this day, the farriers can still be seen  there
shamelessly nailing on lumps of iron, just as they always did.