[lit-ideas] Re: Malt, Coffee & Chuck Taylor (longisher)

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:51:51 -0230

RP raises a well-known (Hegelian/Aristotelian) objection to Kant's CI-procedure
(the procedure of using the Categorical Imperative as a test of the moral
permissibility/impermissiblity of one's maxims or willings.) The objection is,
in its most minimal version, that the procedure does not work as Kant intended
it to work.

Hegel would be happy with RP's example, because Hegel would believe
it reveals why the CI-procedure is really quite vacuous as a moral criterion.
My intention to pick a wild flower from a meadow, RP suggests, would have to be
considered morally impermissible (non-universalizable) because if everybody
picked a wild flower for themselves, there wouldn't be a flowery meadow to pick
flowers from. Hence, the agent's intention is self-contradictory and, as such,
morally impermissible on K's account.

But, of course, GWFH and RP continue, there is nothing morally wrong about all
of us picking a flower from the meadow, and if it were wrong somehow, the
wrongness would have to be determined with reference to some value or norm
brought in from the outside, i.e., independent of the CI-procedure itself. I
have to care about the preservation of the meadow, believe it to have worth of
some sort before I
could claim that this intention and/or action is wrong. Such values, norms and
beliefs originate within our cultural embeddedness within some framework of
historical meaning. (They originate within Sittlichkeit, or what Chuck refers
to as "moral spaces" or "frameworks".) In other words, I have
to have some ethical conception of the good, some conception of what it means to
lead the good life and be a good person, prior to and independent of moral law
("right") to claim the moral wrongness of that intention and/or action. If
meadowy flowers are not part of my and my tribe's conception of the good, then I
will not find anything morally untoward about picking the flower. And I will
happily universalize my maxim.

What would Kant say to GWFH and RP? Perhaps it would look something like the
following.

We need to be clear on the flower-picker's maxim. "I will pick a flower from
the meadow" is not a well-formed maxim. (Like "Drink scotch.") We need to know
the intention or purpose motivating the agent's willing. (Ultimately we need
consider whether the agent is willing out of respect for the form of
law/personhood, but I'll ignore that latter moment of a maxim for now.) The
possibilities are clearly many: to find a cure for hangovers, to save a
person's life, to help maintain the proper biospheric conditions of the meadow,
to produce a poison that nor even S. Holmes would be able to detect, etc.. But,
for the sake of clarity, say our flower-picker wants to pick the flower simply
because it satisfies her want or need to be surrounded at home by pretty
things. It's in her "rational" interest to pick and bring home the flower(s).
(Maybe she picked two? Maybe a bunch? Two bunches?)

Is her maxim a universalizable/morally permissible one? I'll bite the bullet
(daisy) here and consider why Kant would say no it ain't. Kant, I believe,
would say no, but not because we all already believe there's something bad or
wrong about that maxim - an assessment whose grounds of value are imported into
the deliberation regarding permissibility. Rather, there seems to be something
conceptually or epistemically self-contradictory about willing to pick the
flower and willing that there be flowers in the meadow, such that the intention
to pick a flower could be realizable. Any rational agent must will the latter
if she wills the former. (Here the terms "must" and "rational" have no
necessary psychological sense or reference.) One seems to be both willing an
action and willing the negation or contradiction of a condition necessary for
the possibility of the success of that action. The picker cannot rationally
will that everybody pick flowers when it suits them for the purpose identified
above since there would be no flowers left to pick. (If this were a magical,
self-reneweing meadow, the status of the maxim would of course be different.)
This irrationality is identifiable independently of
whether it is "good" to have meadows of flowers on some cultural,
biological/environmental, religious or aesthetic criterion.

The reason why so much of this analysis might strike one as just plain silly is
because our very human tendency to think "Oh come on, one (bunch) of flowers
isn't going to harm anyone/anybody." Or: "What a beautiful meadow; I know I
shouldn't really disturb its pristine wonder, but perhaps only this once and
this is such an isolated place that surely there won't be many more people
coming by to pick flowers." That is precisely the structure of the kind of
illegitimate self-exemption Kant's CI-procedure intends to identify. "After
all, there is nobody in the world just like me; I'm special; my interests and
desires are thus privileged. I have a right to be a free-rider. And even if I
don't, who cares?" (This attitude will be part of the "Coming World Crisis.")

Ever have the urge to carve out a small piece of the Acropolis with your handy
Swiss Army knife? ("Come on, get a life! Who's gonna notice fer Chrissake?")

Ever wonder whether there really is a "Beast" who cares about each and every
sparrow? (Sorry, I'm mixing topics, and genres.)

The examples could be multiplied. More to the point, they can be arranged in
such a way as to reveal, gradually, almost imperceptibly, that the difference
between picking a flower you believe won't disturb anything or anybody isn't
really all that far away from burning one small book written by an author you
would really prefer not to have around anymore.

Gotta run. I parked my car in a handicapped zone.

Walter C. Okshevsky
Memorial University