[lit-ideas] Re: Looking for humour...

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:14:57 -0400

> This isn't it, but it sounds interesting (or scary) depending on your
> point of view. (A guy actually does try to live for a year according to
> the 'rules of the Bible.')
>
> http://www.ajjacobs.com/content/home.asp

AJ is (that is, he proclaims to be) a humourist and, call me cynical, but I
highly doubt he ACTUALLY lived for a year according to the rules of the
bible. What is more likely is that he lived for a series of very short
periods of time (totally about a year) where he picked 'interesting' things
out of the bible and did silly experiments to see if it was possible to
'live biblically'. For instance, he grew a beard, and eschewed cutting all
hair, but only in the last month of the year.

 I read (parts of, it's a good bathroom book) of his book (the know-it-all)
about how he decided he was going to read the whole Encyclopedia Brittanica
-- all 32 volumes. As Erin would say: "meh!" The book reads as if he just
skimmed it randomly and picked out words that he thought he could run
'funny' things about. I think he's a bit of a hack really, but don't mark my
words, he's very successful. Both books are apparently being made into
movies. Heaven help us!