[lit-ideas] Re: Literally

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 14:55:47 +0200

This post is way too long for me to relate to, so only one point:

"[F]or example, why the calling out of "Dog" may be a noun when asked what
kind of pet we have or a proper name if we have called our dog "Dog" etc."

Well, the telementationalist may apply Grice's section on "Names and
Descriptions" in his essay in the Quine festschrift. "Dog" used as a proper
name
would defy translation, and thus a word in Finnish including a reference to
"Dog" would still use 'Dog', whereas a sentence referring to the kind of
pet would need to translate 'dog' to Finnish.

*This would depend on the relevant conventions of translation in Finnish.
However, I'd point out that Amerindian names are sometimes translated into
English - e.g. the Sitting Bull, the Crazy Horse. In some languages /
cultures names are supposed to be descriptive of their bearers.

O.K.

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Palma Gershom a partagé la photo de NThambo Tree Camp.
2 h ·
occasionally, true love
Photo de NThambo Tree Camp.