[lit-ideas] "Literally"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 11:51:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/2004 4:08:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
There is  no sense anymore. [parse away]

A "couple" has lost its numerical value.  People use "literally" to mean
figuratively -- "Oh man, it was so funny, I  literally shit my pants". It's
all mixed up.

----

Well, the case is tricky.

     "I literally shit my pants."

-- or as Geary prefers,

    "I _literarily_ shit my pants."

The case is parallel to Julie Krueger's problems with 'thankfully'. With
Stone's sentence, the 'literally' can apply pre-fixistically:

    "Literally, I shit my pants." (+> ("so funny it  was")).

One problem with 'literally' is that it comes from Latin _littera_,
'letter', and, for the life of Geary, I cannot see what shitting one's pant
(for  the
fun of it or other) may have to do with the letter.

Stone suggests that the correct is:

   "Figuratively, I shit my pants."

-- which _does_ make more sense, in the consideration that it's a _figure_
we are talking here ("a sad figure", perhaps).

The gist of this, though: I'm not so sure as Stone seems to be that people
use 'literally' to mean 'figuratively'. In any case, it's a case here of what
they actually _say_ rather than _mean_.

An extra problem was identified by Grice. ('Further notes in logic and
conversation'). With certain adverbs, notably 'ironically' and 'metaphorically'

(cf. 'figuratively'), the effect is self-defeating:

     "You're such a fine friend."

can be uttered _ironically_ to mean

     "You're a scoundrel."

However, the explicitation of the 'ellipsistical' is self-defeating -- or
odd at best:

    "Ironically, you're such a fine friend".

Ditto for 'metaphorically'.

     "The moon is made of cheese."

is apt and literary;

     "Metaphorically, the moon is made of cheese"

is clumsy. Part of the charm of metaphor and figurative speech is that you
don't _disclose_ what figure you are employing. Those who use "literally" are
actually trying to balance this, in an attempt to restore _literalness_ to the
 _same_ level of 'figurative' speech (and this is in accordance with the
ancient  rhetoricians, for who the 'literal' was just one more figure of speech
among  others.

Cheeres,

JL