[lit-ideas] Kyphoplasty For Julie's Mom

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:11:21 -0500

for her mom. Here is the response.

My friend tells me that CT scan by itself is NOT ENOUGH to rule out bone
metastasis, especially if your mom previously had cancer. A BONE SCAN
scan is required to rule out bone cancer. Furthermore CT scans are very
poor diagnostic tools for metastatic disorders and fractures.

About kyphoplasty: http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic871.htm . This
article is for physicians.

The article's authors define kyphoplasty as:

Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty are radiologic procedures for the
treatment of the intense pain caused by vertebral compression fracture
in patients whose pain has been refractory to medical management or
bracing. Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty involve the off-label
intraosseous injection of an acrylic cement under local anesthesia and
fluoroscopic guidance to control the pain of vertebral fractures
associated with osteoporosis, tumors, and trauma. Typically, the
techniques are performed as an outpatient procedure. Pain reduction or
elimination is immediate, and the risk of complications is low. Neither
vertebroplasty nor kyphoplasty are intended for the treatment of
intervertebral disc disease or arthritis.

emedicine.com also has articles for patient's education and information.
About compression fracture,

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/Articles/5822-1.asp
For back pain: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/collections/CO1546.asp

Some articles are available without log in. To have access to some
articles one needs to register. Registration is free.