[lit-ideas] Re: "Finding Neverland"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:44:02 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 3:49:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
on  2/7/05 11:38 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx at Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I seem to believe the film opens in 1903, yet the play "Peter Pan" is  dated
> 1928? How many books, other than the play, did Barrie write on  the subject
(of
> Peter Pan)?
The play was written in 1904, but  Barrie first met the Llewelyn Davies
family in 1896.
---- What's a good illustration edition currently available that sticks to
the original text in the play? Did he publish 'prose' versions as well?

Thanks for the other information.

There is an entry in the OED for 'Wendy house'. I would not think Barrie
invented the name 'Wendy'. Perhaps it's a corruption of 'Wanda'? -- as in the
Anglo-Saxon princess Wanda, of Mercia?

'Wendy house'.

[Named after the small house built around Wendy in J. M. Barrie's play  Peter
Pan (1904).]
A small house-like structure for  children to play in.

1949 M. ATKINSON Junior School Community 11
Wendy Wendymade by a joiner: two large pieces of  plywood hinged together.
1957 Listener 9 May 743 There is a  Wendy-house in the corner [of the class
room].
1971 Where Dec. 356/1 They have  performed wonders in getting the bus and
re-equipping it with ladders, a wendy  house and even a telephone.
1977  J.  MCCLURE  Sunday Hangman viii. 80 The  rocking horse was legless..,
the pedal car was a write-off, and the Wendy house  had been trampled  flat.

> Where is Barrie buried?
In Kirriemuir,  beside his mother.

> Was the Scots accent put up by Depp  'realistic'? Would that be Glasgow
Scots?
Haven't yet seen the  film.  Barrie was born in Kirriemuir.  He attended
Glasgow,  Forfar and Dumfries Academies and Edinburgh university, so any in a
range  of those accents might pass.

He wrote a biographical novel about his  mother, "Margeret Ogilvy."  His
marriage to Mary Ansell in 1894 ended  in divorce in 1909.  Though his novels
did not sell well, his plays  were very lucrative.  "The Little Minister,"
(1897) brought him ninety  thousand pounds in two years.

I recall a postcard someone sent me of  Barrie's house in Kirriemuir.  It had
a small shed opposite, the first  "Wendy house."  Am I remembering
correctly...did Barrie invent the  name "Wendy"?