[lit-ideas] Re: "Finding Neverland"

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:49:28 -0800

on 2/7/05 11:38 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx at Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I seem to believe the film opens in 1903, yet the play "Peter Pan" is dated
> 1928? How many books, other than the play, did Barrie write on the subject (of
> Peter Pan)?
The play was written in 1904, but Barrie first met the Llewelyn Davies
family in 1896.

> Where is Barrie buried?
In Kirriemuir, beside his mother.

> Was the Scots accent put up by Depp 'realistic'? Would that be Glasgow  Scots?
Haven't yet seen the film.  Barrie was born in Kirriemuir.  He attended
Glasgow, Forfar and Dumfries Academies and Edinburgh university, so any in a
range of those accents might pass.

He wrote a biographical novel about his mother, "Margeret Ogilvy."  His
marriage to Mary Ansell in 1894 ended in divorce in 1909.  Though his novels
did not sell well, his plays were very lucrative.  "The Little Minister,"
(1897) brought him ninety thousand pounds in two years.

I recall a postcard someone sent me of Barrie's house in Kirriemuir.  It had
a small shed opposite, the first "Wendy house."  Am I remembering
correctly...did Barrie invent the name "Wendy"?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon