[lit-ideas] Re: Is this word really necessary?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:49:58 EDT

We are playing with the claim,

"Is this word really necessary"

Quinion, in "World Wide Words" quotes an author of a book on words as
wondering, "Is this word really necessary?" (the word in question:
jumentous--as
 applied to urine, "that smells like the urine of a horse".

Richie offered 'nun' as another unnecessary word.

I proposed Popper on 'soul', to which

In a message dated 8/30/2010 3:50:33 P.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
replied:

"Soul"  and "afterlife" may be beyond the realms of testable/falsifiable
claims

-----

--

So...

Is it or is it NOT necessary?

----

Margot Asquith (her first name rhymed with 'harlow') was so bothered by the
 prime minister's reluctance to use 'soul' properly that she instituted
this  la-di-da social club -- "THE" idea of a a social club for me --. She
called it,  "The Souls". The origin: Baldwin's remark to the effect that
"Margot
is a  beautiful soul" -- and so on. The colloquial use of 'soul'.

In general, Griceans have a problem with words. Griceans no, because
Griceans KNOW that if a word exists (even if it is meaningless) it is there to
fulfil an utterer's intention.

So, I challenge any of you to give me an example of an unnecessary word.
You'll fail.

Cheers,

Speranza--Bordighera