[lit-ideas] Re: I think I'll come back as a squirrel next time

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:55:19 -0500

Ritchie:
 > A life of sisyphusistic nut lugging, while threatened by dogs, foxes,
fleas,
 > eagles, snakes and rabies?

Sisyphusistic?  The sound of that does damage to my soul.  A shudder
shudders through my body at the sound of it.  Until I said that word to
myself, I had not believed anything in existence could be intrinsically
evil.  I have changed my mind.  Please don't ever use that word again.
Please.

Now, on to squirrelly concerns.  Andy admires squirrels.  That doesn't
surprise me, I admire them too.  They are industrious, whereas I'm plainly
not.  I was taught that I should be, and I agree that I should be, but it's
just not in me.  For that reason, I admire it in others.  I don't envy them
their industriousness, I just admire it.  Like the old joke:  "I love work.
I could watch it for hours."  What does surprise me is how many people hate
squirrels.  "Bushy-tailed rats," they call them, and laugh seeing them fried
on electrical transformers or as roadkill or as cat capture.  People can be
so cruel.  I not only admire squirrels, I'm grateful to them, they remind me
of how I could be if I had any character.  They make me realise that
nobility is latent in me, and that if I'd just reform my life, I could be
all noble like, and just the awareness of that potential in me makes me feel
noble enough that I don't feel any urgency about reformation.  I am very,
very grateful to squirrels.  People who hate squirrels -- I don't know.
They're probably industrious souls who resent squirrels for reminding them
how much fun they're missing out on.

Mike Geary
thinking about things I should be doing
in Memphis