[lit-ideas] Re: I think I'll come back as a squirrel next time

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:00:03 -0700

> A life of sisyphusistic nut lugging, while threatened by dogs, foxes,
fleas,
> eagles, snakes and rabies?

ck: No wonder squirrels look nervous! But Andy envies these squirrelly,
antsy little creatures because their compulsive behavior shows that they're
so gosh darn happy.

As Andy says, expressing an anthropomorphism rarely expressed outside of
children's books, "They *love* what they do, or they would have killed
themselves long ago."

I gather that Andy believes lab rats on running wheels are happy, or they
wouldn't stay on those wheels or run those mazes. Any creature doing its
natural rutting thing is happy. By this easy definition of happiness, every
critter on the planet is happiest when copulating. And that may be the truth
of it. Maybe Sisyphus an the oracle had an arrangement behind the rock.
weekending,
Carol