[lit-ideas] How long is the coast of Britain?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:40:23 EDT

P. A. Stone:

>Oh, and Phil!

----

Yet, I don't think I'd buy Henninge's argument to the effect that fractals
(such beautiful things) are computer-generated only.

And add Mandelbrot to Stone's list:

"In the 1960s, Benoît Mandelbrot started investigating self-similarity in
papers such as How Long Is the Coast of Britain? Statistical Self-Similarity
and  Fractional Dimension, which built on earlier work by Lewis Fry
Richardson.  Finally, in 1975 Mandelbrot coined the word "fractal" to denote an
object whose  Hausdorff–Besicovitch dimension is greater than its topological
dimension."

Speranza

---

Speranza