[lit-ideas] Re: How long is the coast of Britain?

  • From: "Richard Henninge" <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 02:11:26 +0200

Donal wrote, correctively:

Despite what I say, I can still hope that someone will do
the heavy lifting that Mandelbaum has apparently avoided.....

[This surname-slip might be explained because a tree/baum is more fractal than bread/brot, and Richard is in a fractal mood. On the other hand, the later "Mandelbrod" looks like a fractalisation too far.]

If there's any redemption in fair play, tit-for-tat, and an immediate comebacker correction, you probably meant "Raymond Carver" in the subject line of your subsequent "Jane Austen..." post. That Monsieur Palma also caught me jammed between the imbricating branches of Monsieur B. B Almondtree will call for another form of repentence on my part, I suppose.

That I could dare, or be mysteriously moved, to start that last sentence with that "that"--does this ever happen to you, Dear Readers?--can it be that I *knew* proleptically that I would, seconds later, find just such a construction in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice at the pivotal moment in which Darcy has declared his love for her, asked for her hand in marriage, been rebuffed, and "hastily left the room," whereupon she (or Austen) expresses the "tumult of her mind" with: "That she should receive an offer of marriage from Mr. Darcy! that he should have been in love with her for so many months! so much in love as to wish to marry her in spite of all the objections which had made him prevent his friend's marrying his sister, and which must appear with equal force in his own case, was almost incredible! it was gratifying to have inspired unconsciously so strong an affection."

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz